Questions from a new player

An area for new players, frequently asked questions, hints and tips.

Questions from a new player

Postby lillumultipass » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 am

Hi to all,

As a huge TCG fan (played a lot of TCG, Netrunner, L5R, VS... In the past) I have now turned to online version as my time is much scarcer than during my youth. I play both Solforge and HS but I am a bit dissatisfied by both, hence I am looking for others. That's how I discovered cabals.
Before dwelling a bit more into the game, I have a few questions:

1. What's the state of the game? Are there many active players? Is it easy to get a ranked at all times? I mainly play early in the morning (I am from France) or sometimes during the weekends. Is there a matchmaking system? Does it work well? More generally, is the development of the game active? I have seen that there has been a recent update. Is there another one in the pipe?

2. I have read that you have to choose a cabal at the beginning. Does it mean you cannot change afterwards? Also, I love control or combo decks in general: what cabal would you advise me to choose then? Btw, are the cabals balanced? I think I have read that one was clearly inferior, is that true?

3. Were I to spend money on the game (when I like a game, I tend to spend money rather early to help "kickstart" the process of acquiring new cards), what is the optimal way to do so? Otherwise, is it easy to "level up" and acquire cards?

4. I have heard about an Elite system that looks a bit unbalanced? What do you think?

5. Finally, are there any in-depth strategy guides somewhere? Not only deckbuilding but also playing in general.

Thank you! I will probably have many more questions in the future :-)
lillumultipass
Follower

Re: Questions from a new player

Postby Mip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 am

1. I can't help you with exact numbers on the numbers of active players. I tend to find my ranked games within a five minutes at most. That would be at the edges of the rating spectrum. There is a matchmaking system, but the criteria for opponent get loosened the longer you search, this does sometimes lead me to find newer players who provide less of a challenge a part of the time.
The last update introduced a host of new cards, I have no clue when the next one will be. Updates with bugfixes, new features and so on also occur, but I can't really say the frequency, only returned recently after taking a break.

2. You have to pick a free starter deck at creation of account. You can buy the other starter decks in the ingame store later. So you're not limited to one cabal, it's just that you only get one for free. Other starter packs are 300 influence in the online shop.
Dominion seems to be weaker in current version, or atleast many of us think so currently. It may change if someone builds an awesome deck+strategy. I'd personally recommend starting with Danann Covenant, mostly because I like it. But it does have a lot of control options. Card list can be found here: http://cabalsgame.com/card_list.php?cabal=3

3. There are daily quests to earn influence (the ingame currency), it's possible to keep on slowly expanding your collection this way. I'm not sure what the optimal way would be now to kickstart the process of getting cards, I've started at this game with a different ingame shop model.
I'd recommend starting with one alliance and building a good deck for that first, then, slowly start working on the next alliance, doing a little of bit everything just takes longer to get a good deck. There are certain cabals that can mix cards in decks, green+blue, red+yellow, light blue+purple. They're also in the same booster, so I'd recommend building a deck for one of those alliances first. I'd recomment green+blue, but others might have other opinions.

4. I personally dislike it, I still manage to get high enough in top leaderboard for prizes with a deck with only 2 elites, so it's possible, it's just harder. One of the main advantages is that it reduces the odds of bad opening hands so it's easier to get the high win percentage for high rating. It also allows more mixing of the two cabals in your alliance for more options without possibly getting messed up by additional loyalty costs.

5. There aren't that many guides written to playing in general as far as I recall. If you have questions, just post here.
Mip

Cabals IGN: CoW.Mip
CabalsCode: C9GP2GK

Postby Psychiclapse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:04 am

Simple answer:
Wanna win?
Play Danann.
To hell with Dominion.
Don't play Dominion.
And you'll win.
• L • O • S • S •
Contact Qvaak to join the Legiones Oblitescentes Sesiplicis Synarchici.

"Death is but life's next great and eternal adventure." ----Nicholas Flamel, alchemist

LOSS.DEADLYVOID
Psychiclapse
Veteran

Postby Kicek » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 am

Hey new guy!

Which clan were you playing in L5R?
Join your fellow players on KIK messanger!

Install KIK on your mobile device (free app).

Pull down the main screen until the camera will turn on. Then point the camera here:

http://cabalsgame.com/forum/download/file.php?id=194
Kicek
Veteran

CabalsCode: NKJQ2JM

Postby lillumultipass » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 am

Hello,

Thanks to all for your answers! Although that of Psychiclapse has me a little worried, I have to admit! I don't like when there is such a clear-cut path to victory...if that is true the game is pretty unbalanced.

@Kicek: I was playing the first version of the Phenix Stronghold and Crane primarily.
lillumultipass
Follower

Postby Psychiclapse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:48 am

lillumultipass wrote:Hello,

Thanks to all for your answers! Although that of Psychiclapse has me a little worried, I have to admit! I don't like when there is such a clear-cut path to victory...if that is true the game is pretty unbalanced.

@Kicek: I was playing the first version of the Phenix Stronghold and Crane primarily.

Current situation:
Danann&Primal: overpowered.
Dragon&Nether: balanced.
Dominion: unplayable.

Of course it still requires skills to win with Danann, but apart from that it needs almost nothing. It's as easy as pie to reach 1800 1900 with free Danann accounts, while it's hard to do so with elite Dominion decks. Pretty much explains the situation.
• L • O • S • S •

"Death is but life's next great and eternal adventure." ----Nicholas Flamel, alchemist

LOSS.DEADLYVOID
Psychiclapse
Veteran

Postby Kicek » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:53 am

The game is OK.
Lapse is overreacting.

First of all, turn the game on, make an account and push 'log out'. Then, chose a single player mode - you can try out all the basic Cabals starters to see which one fits you best.

If you played phoenix/crane in L5R, definitely try out Dominion (Zahir and Vril). They offer some serious combo/trick playing.

Dannan is a straightforward attack (similar to Lion/Naga in L5R) - swarmastic. Bearclaw is a mix of power and control - they like to lock down oponent's cards. Zahir is the control style - a lot of tricks and combos, harder to play. Vril is a crazy blowing up machine - they blow up opponent's units and move forward with huge monsters.

The last 2 cabals that can't be chosen for free are Dragon (there's a power attack style, Crab Clan'ish and a second theme that allow to discard opponent's deck). The last one is Osiris with 2 decks: resurrecting big guys and a very very fun and combo' attack deck (a mix of vril and dannan playstyle).

The cabals are balanced enough for a good play. Most of the people play in European hours, so it should be fine for you.
Join your fellow players on KIK messanger!

Install KIK on your mobile device (free app).

Pull down the main screen until the camera will turn on. Then point the camera here:

http://cabalsgame.com/forum/download/file.php?id=194
Kicek
Veteran

CabalsCode: NKJQ2JM

Postby Mip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:06 am

You already posted that?
Mip

Postby Psychiclapse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:14 am

Internet problem. I'll find how to delete that later, seems like impossible on Tapatalk.

Also @Kicek: I noticed the fact that most players saying that the game is balanced are Primal players. Most players complaining are Dominion players.
In your opinion, since the game is 'balanced', all the complainers are noobs and you Primal players are talented.
• L • O • S • S •

LOSS.DEADLYVOID
Psychiclapse
Veteran

Postby Mip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:28 am

I've deleted the post for you, no need looking up how to do it on Tapatalk.

I do not disagree,I'd prefer to see some things changed to what would be in my view a better balance, it's just that I don't agree with all of your proposals.
Mip

Next

Return to New Players/FAQs