Lore of Cabals

General Cabals: Magic & Battle Cards discussion.

Re: Lore of Cabals

Postby Acid25 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:49 am

Good work! Waiting for the DE's one ;)
Acid25
Agent

Postby lycocabal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:27 am

Great job you've done here. And this helped me realize all the work that has been done on the Cabals World. I like the whole occult/arcana theme, which is a welcome change to the silly Elves and Dwarves that card games seem to follow in default.

Now, how about a Cthulhu Cabal. Come on! It's easy! You'd have your cultist weenies and a host of superpowered races to choose from. Mi-Go's could be something like 2 or 3, and the barrel shaped Elder Race something like 4 or 5. I just can't seem to find a suitable hero, since the frequently unnamed Lovecraft heroes went batshit crazy or died in the maws of a Great Old One. I am tempted to say Arthur Gordon Pym, though, or Randolph Carter. Charles Dexter Ward.

Just realized, this is probably off subject for this thread. Well, KVD, this is great stuff. Keep it up.

(Is there somewhere in the threads a complete catalogue of the flavor text? I don't have sufficient cards to justify doing it myself, although I could do most of Dominion)

(Great. Three subjects in one post. Just great.)
"I am only telling you the opinions which exist. You must not pay too much attention to opinions. The written word is unalterable, and opinions are only an expression of despair."
―Franz Kafka, The Trial, 169
lycocabal
Novice

Postby Mip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:38 am

The Star Spawn from Sons of Osiris Cabal has a Lovecraft flavor text.
"The Thing cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all cosmic order."

For all the flavor texts you could also look at the card list: http://cabalsgame.com/card_list.php
If you click the card it will enlarge and you can also read the flavor text.
Mip

Cabals IGN: CoW.Mip
CabalsCode: C9GP2GK

Postby KVD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:57 am

Sons of Osiris does indeed have some slight references to Lovecraftian lore and I believe we will see more of them in coming updates.
They're all indirect and subtle except Star Spawn like Mip pointed out, which is supposed to be an eldritch horror and has a direct quote from Lovecraft's short story "Haunter of the Dark" on it.
I'll get to that soon, I'm gathering info on DE.
Stay in school.
KVD
Elite

Postby Huxk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am

KVD wrote:Sons of Osiris does indeed have some slight references to Lovecraftian lore and I believe we will see more of them in coming updates.
They're all indirect and subtle except Star Spawn like Mip pointed out, which is supposed to be an eldritch horror and has a direct quote from Lovecraft's short story "Haunter of the Dark" on it.
I'll get to that soon, I'm gathering info on DE.

Hope you don't mind, I sorted out the knowledge of DE in another thread according to my own culture. If I've left out anything, compliment is appreciated.
Huxk
Veteran

Cabals IGN: Zubenstim
CabalsCode: AYGXVRM

Culture Backgrounds of Dragon Enclave

Postby Huxk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

Seen KVD's excellent lore of old cabals, as a Chinese I decide to summary the authentic stories of DE, the native Cabal to me coming from the mysterious Orient and nourished by cryptic Taoism.

FIGURES

Elder Zhang Guo:
One of the Chinese “Eight Immortals”, yet a real historical occultist-alchemist existed over hundred years from Sui Dynasty to Tang. Rumour has it that lived over 3 thousand years since Emperor Yao, and owned great skill of necromancy which deceived emperors more than once. Find his interesting stories at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Zhang_Guo
Another famous Taoist, Ye Fashan said: “Elder Zhang Guo is a white spiritual bat which came out of primeval chaos.” Which is reflected on his image.
Quotes: Dragon Sage.

Yu Ming (AD 1901-1948):
His formal name is Wu Jinding. Yu Ming is his literary name, for Chinese consider calling adult male (of the same generation)’s name improper in old times. In 1930, Wu took office in Institute of history and language, Academia Sinia and worked as archaeologist. 1933, studied in UK. 1937, got his Ph.D. Wu’s most outstanding discovery was Longshan (“Dragon Moutain”) culture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshan_culture, which might related to Emperor Yao.
Quotes: Illusionary Dragon, Master of Blades, Terracotta Warrior.

Duan Cheng Shi (AD 803-863):
A late-Tang dynasty novelist and poet. Born in courtiers, Duan is elegant and erudite. He is adept in Zhiguai (recording strange or supernatural events) and writing flowery style poems, the most famous book he wrote is Miscellaneous Morsels from Youyang: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Yang_Za_Zu
Quotes: Demon of Pools, Descending Clouds.

CREATURES

Fucanglong:
Underworld dragon who guards buried treasures, both natural and man-made. Volcanoes are said to be created when they burst out of the ground to report to heaven. The most treasured possession is a magic pearl.
The flavour text is quoted from Journey into West, chapter 3. (And chapter 33 on Lesser Yaomo)

Illusionary Dragon:
Dragon inhabit coast or estuary of great rivers. People can see magnificent mirage from its breath—pavilions, terraces filled by aristocrats in gorgeous garment. You can also see those illusions by lighting a candle made from its fat at dusks about to rain. The reason they create illusions is only to catch swallows, their sole food. This dragon may attack people, bridges and ships when smelt swallows but failed to find them.
Illusionary Dragons are rare due to the way of reproducing—snake and pheasant mating in lunar January, laying a tiny egg which would attract thunder all over the sky and be pushed into soil then develop into a coiled snake. After two or three hundred years, soil around the egg turned into rock and will rise into sky. Once the rock met moonlight, it collapses and the dragon is born. Those eggs hit by thunder but didn’t get buried will hatch into pheasant, but if those pheasant jump into sea, they’d become illusionary dragons too.

Rain Dragon:
In Chinese mythology, other than dragons possessing water, those who live in sky control rain, beneficial or devastating. It is believed that the drizzles are natural phenomena, but thundershowers are made by dragons.
In some ancient books, this kind of dragon is categorized as Shenlong, parallel to Fucanglong amongst 4 types.

Rakshasa:
A human-eater originated in Hinduism. Male rakshasa is described as long-toothed with a livid face, while the female is often fabulous.

Water Monkey:
Ape-like animal that lives underwater and can dig lakebed to move through different waters. They like to pull swimmers down, mainly at night, and drowns them by stuffing mud into their nose and mouth. Water Monkeys are powerful in water but weak on land, fed by fish and shrimps. However, the essence and blood of children is one of their favourites.
Also known as the prototype of Kappa in Japan.
The flavour text is quoted from Shi Jing, the oldest extant collection of Chinese poetry. However, the original was an elegy to the two princes. Known the usurper’s scheme, the elder one made his half-brother drunk and set out to meet the assassin instead. The younger heard the truth after awaken and pursued, was also killed.

LOCATIONS

Tianma Moutain (quoted Descending Clouds):
The highest hill of Shanghai. Ganjiang, one of the most well-known swordsmith once forged a legendary sword here.

Yu Garden (quoted Young Visionary):
Used to be a private garden conceived during Ming Dynasty in Shanghai, is public now as a national monument: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Garden

Garden of Zhuyang (quoted Demon of Pools):
A Taoist abbey built by Tao Hongjing, the celebrated alchemist and litterateur from Nanking. He live there in seclusion for over 40 years.

Hope you like it.
Will update when new cards released.
Last edited by Huxk on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huxk
Veteran

Cabals IGN: Zubenstim
CabalsCode: AYGXVRM

Re: Culture Backgrounds of Dragon Enclave

Postby KVD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am

Good job, I wasn't too enthusiastic about having to study on the Dragons and I'm sure you get the cultural implications of the Cabal much better than I could.
Xie xie.
Stay in school.
KVD
Elite

Postby Hex » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow, this is incredibly interesting and well put together!

I have a particular curiosity for Vril, but all of them seem very, very interesting
Hex
Disciple

Postby KVD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:28 am

Once I get my PC back I'll update the post and add Osiris.
Stay tuned.
Stay in school.
KVD
Elite

Re: Culture Backgrounds of Dragon Enclave

Postby 333 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am

As a fellow chinese who is delighted with DE and the lores I grew up with, I will like to give this a bump. Good job.
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion (Digital)