Over time, things change. For example, the cabals have been honing their skills on the battlegrounds for over 5 years. Meaning, some are now stronger. Also, traumatic combat experiences have altered their mindsets forever. Therefore, some have been weakened. Before the cabals get new reinforcements, 36 card improvements bring a new set of rules to the battlegrounds of Cabals. It is time to alter your strategy, the latest update is here!
You can find out how time has improved the War of Cabals by reading a full change list below...
Please note that in may take a while for the update to show in the respective app stores.
Full change list
Developer Comments: Most of these changes are pretty straightforward. Obsessed Monk received a double buff, because its ability is not always beneficial. Blast Courier’s clumsy self-damaging splash damage was removed and now it can also target Devices. Doppelganger gained higher control over its ability and no longer needs to escape small units in fear of losing its power.
N.B. Changes in bold differ from the previously announced planned changes
- Mortuary Assistant: Change ability to “Once per turn, 1[resource]: Remove the top card of opponent’s discard pile from the game. If the discard pile is empty, draw 1 card instead.”
- Man of the Crowd: decrease base cost to 4
- Harbinger of Doom: increase base cost to 6, change ability to "Once per turn, Sacrifice a unit: Harbinger of Doom gains [power][health] equal to its own [power] and deal 1 damage to adjacent units."
- Obsessed Monk: decrease loyalty cost to 1 and add "Stamina 1"
- Drunken Cluricaun: No changes (reverted the previewed stamina change)
- Valburg's Night: change ability to "All friendly units gain +1[power][health]. Draw a card."
- Vril Berserker: decrease base cost to 3
- Blast Courier: change ability to "Once per game: destroy target adjacent unit with 1[power] or less."
- Champion of Hyperborea: decrease base cost to 6
- Doppelganger: decrease power to 4, change ability to “When Doppelganger attacks: Doppelganger gains the non-Device abilities of the defending unit.”
- Vril Field Generator: decrease the self-damage to 1
- Carve the Skin: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
- Fucanglong: change ability to "When deployed: Generate +1[resource]. When destroyed: Generate +1[resource]."
- Day of the False King: decrease base cost to 2
- Colonial Officer: decrease ability cost to 2
- Devourer of the Dead: decrease ability cost to 1
- Foul Oasis: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
- Star Spawn: increase power to 3
- Tomb Robbers: change the ability to “Dismiss a card from your deck: gain +1[domination_point].”
Developer Comments: The biggest change here is that all devices got their power reduced to zero, further distinguishing them from units and increasing the importance of their positioning (Unstable Dynamo and Void Capsule remain as dangerous as ever). Building Contractor's new ability eliminates the illogic behind its non-conquering rule; now you’re able to conquer both neutral and enemy tiles with the ability. Fionog was overpowering, frustrating to play against and confusing due to being able to target non-targetable units via its tile mechanic. Lugnasad no longer affects tiles with units on them, because in addition to needing a nerf, it made units look like having Does Not Conquer. Impostor and Journey into Diyu can no longer be unfairly used to win the game. Even after its loyalty cost increase, Blazing Dragon remains cheap to use repeatedly, but we turned it into a more situational tactic by making it cause friendly fire (pun intended).
- Frequency Transmitter: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 4"
- Inertia Well: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 4"
- Ley Obelisk: decrease power to 0
- Sampo: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 2"
- Unstable Dynamo: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 3"
- Void Capsule: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 2"
- Building Contractor: increase base cost to 2 and replace ability with "1[resource]: You may deploy your next Device this turn onto a non-stronghold tile adjacent to any friendly Building Contractor."
- Faery Warrior: increase ability cost to 3, add "Exhaust" to the ability wording to match with its functionality, change the second part of the ability wording to “Move or Attack to an adjacent non-stronghold tile.” to match with its functionality
- Fionog: Decrease power to 2 and replace ability with "Once per game, Exhaust: Destroy target adjacent unit. Gain +2 [power][health]."
- Gnome Hero: decrease “Stamina 2” to “Stamina 1”
- Lugnasad: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "empty regular tiles"
- Wealthy Landowner: increase loyalty cost to 2
- Alawite Adept: decrease the ability buff to +1, add "exhausted" to the ability wording to match with its functionality
- Impostor: change ability targeting to "target friendly unit on a non-stronghold tile"
- Skull Machine: increase loyalty cost to 2
- Blazing Dragon: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "adjacent units"
- Journey into Diyu: change ability targeting to "target unit on a non-stronghold tile"
- Royal Embalmer no longer moves onto a stronghold tile when targeting its ability there
- Fixed a rarely occurring issue with deploying a unit with Fabergé Egg onto a deployment location
- Fabergé Egg and Escalating Inflation are no longer wasted if you do anything else in-between playing the card and using its effect
- Fixed an issue with Jiangshi not dealing damage to Fast Attack units
- Fixed an issue with Elite Jiangshi’s ability not functioning
- Spanish localization fixes on Alawite Adept, Baba Yaga, Impostor, Master Yu Ming and Effigy of Morena
- Fixed an issue with the game not timeouting properly
- Single player quests have been removed
Developer Comments: This is a big update for the Steam client with polish added left, right and center. After having experimented with the loyalty costless Modern Mode, we decided to focus on making our main game mode the best it can be. While the loyalty cost mechanic will always have a bit of a learning curve, it’s not something we are willing to give up.
- Fixed an issue with Awakening Barbarossa being able to discard itself
- Modern Mode was removed from the game
- Added a loyalty cost tutorial to the last tutorial level
- Fixed an issue with the deck list getting stuck in the main menu
- Blazing Dragon can now correctly be played on chained units
- Moving immobilized units no longer gives wrong debuff source information
- Added the ability to swap your deck’s hero in the deck editor
- Fixed a rare issue with the deck editor getting stuck
- Fixed an issue with delayed return to hand effects with Frequency Transmitter
- Added a debuff sound effect
- Fixed an issue with draw actions allowing extra card draws under some conditions
- Cards now appear in the correct order in the collection (i.e. elites and dual heroes)
- Added a text cursor to all input fields
- The unit status info box now triggers from the whole card area of a selected unit
- Harbinger of Doom no longer shows itself as a viable sacrifice target
- The new deck button in the main menu now appears after your decks
- Fixed the order of starter decks in the shop to the standard cabal order
- Card previews from all sources (e.g. collection, deck and discard pile) now show the same information (base cost instead of current cost)
- Master Yu Ming’s ability now gives buff info when mouseovered
- Increased the contact area for some of the smallest sliders
- Faery Warrior no longer shows inapplicable targets
- The create new deck button is no longer available when there are no deck slots available
- When returning to the main menu from the deck editor or match, the same deck is now selected by default
- The music and sound sliders in settings use the whole width of the slider
- Cards that you can play without paying their resource cost are now shown with a green highlight
- A lot of card texts were improved (clarity, style and consistency)
- Added "Sacrifice a unit" to the ability wording of Karl Maria Viligut to match with its functionality
- Fixed capitalization issues from on starter decks in the shop
- Fixed a typo on the social media panel
- The hero selection screen now says “choose” instead of “accept”
- There are a lot of new visual effects, such as: buff and debuff, resource and domination point gaining, targeting, passive adjacent abilities, location glowing, movement arrows and global damage actions
- The deck editor statistics button animation was disabled
- Fixed an issue with the deck statistics window falling out of the screen
- The unit status tooltip has improved spacing and no longer shows game icons through its background
- The side panel no longer appears beneath the defeat/victory screen
- Fixed a scaling issue with the splash screen
- Chained units no longer lose their visual effect when moved by abilities
- Fixed a visual issue with card hovering
- Fixed a visual issue with dragging cards to deck
- Infest the Mind no longer keeps the unit looking debuffed after its expiration
- Fixed an issue with resource gaining sometimes showing both plus and minus signs
- Right-clicking while dragging cards no longer creates visual extra instances of them
- Journey into Diyu now also gives the target a debuff visual effect
- Dual Loyalty heroes no longer have smaller Cabal symbols in-game
- Fixed an issue with units not looking exhausted after combat where neither dies
- Unit buff and debuff info tooltip now has proper grouping and spacing
- Fixed a deck overlap issue in the main menu
- Fixed a sometimes occurring graphical glitch when returning from the deck editor
- Fixed an issue with cards leaving a floating instance after timeouting in certain conditions
- Fixed an issue with Psychic Lapse sometimes leaving behind a floating instance of the card