The future of Cabals (2017)

Latest development news.

The future of Cabals (2017)

Postby dougsymon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:48 pm

The near future of Cabals includes:

- Bug fixes
- Balance changes, see the list below
- New cards, previews starting soon!

Whilst many have been on holiday the Cabals team at Kyy Games have been working hard in the Kyy lair. The comprehensive plan set out by the masters of the Cabals is being followed. In game chat has been fixed once again and a number of bugs have been resolved ready for the next update. Everyone will be pleased to know this includes Building Contractor’s ability and the work doesn’t stop there....

Most strikingly is the most comprehensive card balancing to take place in the 5 year history of Cabals. An immense list of changes have been planned and as we have such an intelligent community we couldn’t wait to share them with you today.

Please see lists below for details and use this topic to discuss the upcoming changes.

As is usual policy the dates of future updates have *not* been revealed but it’s fair to say these upcoming improvements will shake up the battlegrounds of the War of Cabals forever!

BUFFS

Developer Comments: Most of these changes will be pretty straightforward. Obsessed Monk will get a double buff, because its ability is not always beneficial. Blast Courier has very limited usage and the ability is self-damaging, so we designed a new ability more in line with the card's intention.

• Mortuary Assistant: Change ability to “Once per turn, 1[resource]: Remove the top card of opponent’s discard pile from the game. If the discard pile is empty, draw 1 card instead.”
  • Man of the Crowd: decrease base cost to 4
  • Harbinger of Doom: change ability to "Once per turn, Sacrifice a unit: Harbinger of Doom gains [power][health] equal to its own [power] and deal 1 damage to adjacent units." and increase base cost to 6
  • Obsessed Monk: decrease loyalty cost to 1 and add "Stamina 1"
  • Drunken Cluricaun: increase "Stamina 2" to "Stamina 3"
  • Valburg's Night: change ability to "All friendly units gain +1[power][health]. Draw a card."
  • Vril Berserker: decrease base cost to 3
  • Blast Courier: change ability to "Once per game, Exhaust: Deal 1 damage to adjacent units. Move this to an adjacent empty tile."
  • Carve the Skin: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
  • Fucanglong: change ability to "When deployed: Generate +1[resource]. When destroyed: Generate +1[resource]."
  • Day of the False King: decrease base cost to 2
  • Colonial Officer: decrease ability cost to 2
  • Foul Oasis: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
  • Star Spawn: increase power to 3
  • Devourer of the Dead: decrease ability cost to 1

NERFS

Developer Comments: The biggest change here is that all devices will get their power reduced to zero, further distincting them from units and increasing the importance of their positioning (Unstable Dynamo and Void Capsule will remain as dangerous as ever). Building Contractor's new ability will eliminate the illogic behind its non-conquering rule; you will be able to conquer both neutral and enemy tiles with the ability. Fionog is overpowering, frustrating to play against and confusing due to being able to target non-targetable units via its tile mechanic. Lugnasad will no longer affect tiles with units on them, because in addition to needing a nerf, it makes units look like having Does Not Conquer. Impostor and Journey into Diyu will no longer be unfairly used to win the game. Even after its loyalty cost increase, Blazing Dragon will remain cheap to use repeatedly, but we will turn it into a more situational tactic by making it cause friendly fire (pun intended).

• Frequency Transmitter: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 4"
  • Inertia Well: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 4"
  • Ley Obelisk: decrease power to 0
  • Sampo: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 2"
  • Unstable Dynamo: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 3"
  • Void Capsule: decrease power to 0 and add "Stamina 2"
  • Building Contractor: increase base cost to 2 and replace ability with "1[resource]: You may deploy your next Device this turn onto a non-stronghold tile adjacent to any friendly Building Contractor."
  • Faery Warrior: increase ability cost to 3
  • Fionog: Decrease power to 2 and replace ability with "Once per game, Exhaust: Destroy target adjacent unit. Gain +2 [power][health]."
  • Wealthy Landowner: increase loyalty cost to 2
  • Lugnasad: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "empty regular tiles"
  • Alawite Adept: decrease the ability buff to +1
  • Skull Machine: increase loyalty cost to 2
  • Impostor: change ability targeting to "target friendly unit on a non-stronghold tile"
  • Blazing Dragon: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "adjacent units"
  • Journey into Diyu: change ability targeting to "target unit on a non-stronghold tile"

ABILITY TEXT FIXES

• Faery Warrior: add "Exhaust" to the ability wording to match with its functionality, change the second part of the ability wording to “Move or Attack to an adjacent non-stronghold tile.” to match with its functionality
  • Karl Maria Viligut (Steam version): add "Sacrifice a unit" to the ability wording to match with its functionality
  • Alawite Adept: add "exhausted" to the ability wording to match with its functionality

Please note these modifications are subject to change but we would love to hear your thoughts as we continue to test them.
Join your fellow players on IRC for general chat and friendly matches:
#cabalscg
irc.quakenet.org
http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=cabalscg
Thread with more information about IRC channel

DM me if you'd like a game of Cabals!
dougsymon
Site Admin

Cabals IGN: WindomEarle
CabalsCode: R5Z8YTW

Re: NEWSFLASH: The future of Cabals

Postby Effe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:10 pm

OMG! Still too shocked to say anything else!
Effe
Veteran

Cabals IGN: Effe
CabalsCode: KQCRDED

Postby gerulf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Well, nice to hear about changes. Hope the game will become much stable- this is a main thing. Also card improvments will give new strategics. As for me now it's a good news about Impostor because I hate this cheat with Underworld Charger (bad news for Dominion's players)). Anyway will see about all these changes and their results. Wish to see update as soon as possible. Good luck with update!
gerulf
Trooper

Yes I'm alive

Postby flurgx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I'll eventually come back on this glorious day when the update goes live!
Most of the op stuff gets destroyed, maybe valburgs night can compensate :-P
Not sure about the devices...
Let the games begin
flurgx
Veteran

Cabals IGN: flurgx

Postby 210 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey, Nether alliance becomes OP once again!
I'll add short commentary later. Overall mostly nice changes
Visionary

Cabals IGN: Rastafari.hs

Where

Postby flurgx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Where is the cabals community currently chatting? :-P
Nether becomes op? You are dream walking :-D
Danan stays op, I'll show you man
flurgx
Veteran

Cabals IGN: flurgx

Postby LleoMax » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Any change would have been welcome after such a long stand-still ... but these ones seem to make sense, a lot of sense.
Really big applause for killing the impostor/charger combo on stronghold which was way too predictable, mechanical and only depending on draw sequence.
But the most important: NEW CARDS ... Christmas gift after Christmas!!!

Kudos guys. Don't make us waiting too long.
LleoMax
Disciple

Postby kdark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 am

When the new cards will be published?
kdark
Novice

Postby dougsymon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:02 am

We'll start gradually revealing details of the new cards soon. Maybe even next week. However, the actual release of the new cards is likely to be separate from the balance changes so as to ensure the balance is right first.
Join your fellow players on IRC for general chat and friendly matches:
#cabalscg
irc.quakenet.org
http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=cabalscg
Thread with more information about IRC channel

DM me if you'd like a game of Cabals!
dougsymon
Site Admin

Cabals IGN: WindomEarle
CabalsCode: R5Z8YTW

Postby Mip » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 am

Mortuary Assistant: Change ability to “Once per turn, 1[resource]: Remove the top card of opponent’s discard pile from the game. If the discard pile is empty, draw 1 card instead.”
This at least makes him playable, not sure how much play it will see anyway. It seems to mostly counter Nether anyway and only countering a specific cabal is rather narrow reason to include in deck. Drawing a card for 1 resource is nice vs other cabals, but those will just fill up their graveyard and not care that you remove cards with minor exception of vicar of seville and hermit.
Man of the Crowd: decrease base cost to 4
My poor Raiding party is feeling left out. It doesn't make the card amazing, but it's still fine to play in general in budget decks.
Harbinger of Doom: change ability to "Once per turn, Sacrifice a unit: Harbinger of Doom gains [power][health] equal to its own [power] and deal 1 damage to adjacent units." and increase base cost to 6
I'm a bit afraid this buff might have been a bit too much. 8 power after 2 sacrifices and 16 power after 3 is a lot. I can see someone trying to build a deck around this to get it going, there are some possible nice synergies in Nether. Xian and Diplomat are nice as sac fodder with the ability to revive and sac a second time by using embalmer it could be a nice flavor of Dragon deck, while they can still run their basics of torturer and blazing dragon, now the harbinger can also finish off those units damaged by torturer.
Obsessed Monk: decrease loyalty cost to 1 and add "Stamina 1"
It's nice the card got some buffs, but I still probably won't play it. Primal has some amazing options at 4 cost and this one just doesn't compare to Banshee/Frost/Morena or even the nerfed Fionog.
Drunken Cluricaun: increase "Stamina 2" to "Stamina 3"
The card was completely outclassed by Gnome Hero, now it's a bit of a closer decision especially since clearing tiles will be a bit slower using lugnagasad, but I still would prefer Gnome Hero I think. It does now completely crush Devoted Bureaucrat, if both are elited, 2+3 is just better than 1+4.
Valburg's Night: change ability to "All friendly units gain +1[power][health]. Draw a card."
The card becomes a lot more playable, though there is still the risk of getting stuck with it too early in the game. It's still hard to justify this over Warrior Maid, but maybe people could run some copies of both.
Vril Berserker: decrease base cost to 3
The card was a joke, now it's still not great since losing a random card from hand can really hurt, but it might now be somewhat decent in a budget deck.
Blast Courier: change ability to "Once per game, Exhaust: Deal 1 damage to adjacent units. Move this to an adjacent empty tile."
It used to be able to take care of bog candles with toughness, which was an issue for a while for dominion.It can no longer do that, now I'm not sure how much overlap there is between this and hexxenbanner.
Carve the Skin: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
I'm not sure how much this was played, but now it's an even bigger threat in early game. Now I knew if playing vs dominion and he had only resources from stronghold he couldn't buff his unit to kill my unit, now I have to consider if they might have this.
Fucanglong: change ability to "When deployed: Generate +1[resource]. When destroyed: Generate +1[resource]."
Nice buff, though yellow sea smuggler and ivory trader might still be the go to options for resource generation in Nether. While rain dragon and baku might be the go to beat sticks, this is a bit of a jack of all trades kind of thing, though it might suprise me.
Day of the False King: decrease base cost to 2
Might see plenty of play now as a cheap way to snipe early game unit. though there are still plenty of early game 2 cost units. Also allows for buffing with only the resources from stronghold so can be a potent threat in early game.
Colonial Officer: decrease ability cost to 2
This card was a bit of a joke, it still kinda is, but I'm not sure it should be buffed to the point where dragon has another good source of ping damage to finish off units weakened by torturer.
Foul Oasis: decrease base cost to 2 and increase loyalty cost to 2
It was a joke of a card, now I can see people might potentially use this if only for the surprise effect, you can still conquer the tile by placing a blazing dragon on the does not conquer unit. Or things like Yu-ming and Dismissal.
Star Spawn: increase power to 3
Not sure I like it, but so far it wasn't played that much, it does have snowball potential.
Devourer of the Dead: decrease ability cost to 1[/list]
Reasonable change, though I still think many osiris players might value their graveyard cards more for other purposes like the ivory trader.

NERFS

In general I like the devices no longer having power and just stamina, they offered too much blocking power for thier cost in the early game. Power 3 for 2 cost means people need like a 4 cost unit just to trade with it or keep walking around it.

Building Contractor: increase base cost to 2 and replace ability with "1[resource]: You may deploy your next Device this turn onto a non-stronghold tile adjacent to any friendly Building Contractor."
With now officially the ability to conquer neutral tiles i can understand why it got a small price increase.
Faery Warrior: increase ability cost to 3
Complelely justified, you got a lot of bang for your buck with his ability.
Fionog: Decrease power to 2 and replace ability with "Once per game, Exhaust: Destroy target adjacent unit. Gain +2 [power][health]."
Both this and banshee in the same cabal was perhaps a bit much. It still seems perfectly playable, especially as defense for stronghold/deployment tile, since imposter can no longer capture stronghold in one turn. And you don't always have the resources for banshee, after using it once, a power 4 for 4 is still fine.
Wealthy Landowner: increase loyalty cost to 2
It allowed Bearclaw to run 6 2 cost 2 power units with positive effects and no loyalty issues, which might have been a bit much. It's not a big nerf except in that case, since green can just elite it, since it's not rare and stuff.
Lugnasad: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "empty regular tiles"
Alawite Adept: decrease the ability buff to +1
The card really need a nerf, not sure I would've given one this big, I think changing it to +2 might also have worked out nicely. I guess we'll have to see what dominion players come up with now since their main I win combo got nerfed too.
Skull Machine: increase loyalty cost to 2
Don't really care that much, with the nerfing of the I win combo deck making vrill hurt a bit to include this is kinda meaningless. Zahir will probably still just run 3 elite to counter discarders and stuff unless Baku really dominates meta.
Impostor: change ability targeting to "target friendly unit on a non-stronghold tile"
I'm happy with this change. You can still use the trick on deployment tiles, but no longer on strongholds, which was a very frustrating deck to play against sometimes, they just stayed on their side of board, put out engineer and runemaster and started saving up and looking for combo.
Blazing Dragon: increase loyalty cost to 2 and change ability targeting to "adjacent units"
I like that it got a nerf. The friendly fire damage might give Healer a good chance to shine in dragon decks, the additional loyalty cost nerfs the osiris respawn dragons all the time deck a bit, which was really strong. the loyalty cost doesn't really matter for reviving with portal/embalmer or renewal, but it does hurt to play the first one. The second one should be normal price when played on the first one provided you elited it.
Journey into Diyu: change ability targeting to "target unit on a non-stronghold tile"[/list]
Being able to lock opponents stronghold by replacing unit there with a device was just a pain and not fun.
Mip

Cabals IGN: CoW.Mip
CabalsCode: C9GP2GK

Next

Return to Cabals News